Monday 14 January 2008

Mary McDonald...

It's been a while since a magazine spread has made me gasp out loud. Am I alone in thinking that too many magazines are featuring boring, thoughtless, characterless, uniform apartments? the magazines in Hong Kong seem to only feature dreary white boxes...no sign of human life, (or of any taste for that matter...). I only read a few of the US design mags, one or two from the UK and 2 from Australia. Some of them (there are a few exceptions) are starting to look much of a muchness to me. This is a subject that I've spoken to friends about...but clearly not many of them seem to pay as much attention to this as I do. Lucky for them. Because I'm getting fed up! Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe the blogging community needs to circulate a list of recommended monthly reads...

Anyway, I do digress a little. The spread that made me gasp was from House Beautiful - an LA home by none other than Mary McDonald. She has an amazing eye for colour and a talent for mixing beautiful pieces - a combination that makes each of her interiors colourful, chic and livable - as well as looking like they have a history!

Perhaps I'm just fed up with the mostly Asian negative attitude towards vintage and antiques - or anything with history. Maybe I should just stop complaining and do something about it!



Sorry for the rant folks, but I feel better now. All images from House Beautiful Feb 08. More details about the feature here.

15 comments:

Turquoise Chic said...

I love this spread! It looks like I'll be needing to check out House Beautiful on my next trip to the bookstore! Thanks!!!

beth said...

I so agree with you about magazine spreads. I've been wondering whether I should keep buying certain Australian magazines. The houses seem to lack texture or layers, and appear to be put together in a formulaic way by the designers, without any personal touches by the owners. By the way I read your blog each day. Thanks for your encouraging advice about Anthropologie on my blog!

The Peak of Chic said...

I really liked this article too! McDonald does both the feminine and masculine look quite well.

Suzy said...

Turquoise Chic - please do, its a really nice edition!

Suzy said...

Hi Beth, I know what you mean. Thanks for reading my blog. And good luck with Anthropologie - I wish they'd open one up here in HK too...

Suzy said...

Hi Jennifer - she really does, doesn't she. Such a beautiful home.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! It made my day. Mary has such a huge range and she does it all amazingly.I cant wait for a book! Does anyone know if there is plans for one soon?

Suzy said...

Eric, I think we are all hanging out for a book about Mary! If anyone from a publishing house is reading this...give her a book deal already!

Habitually Chic said...

Her home is really beautiful. I love the first photo and all the color combinations she used. I can't wait until my issue of HB arrives so I can read more about it.

Suzy said...

PS everyone there are more photos on the HB website that aren't featured in the magazine!

Topsy Turvy said...

I thought the vintage silk tie fabrics she used on the pillows throughout was genius! To fully appreciate them, you need to look at the magazine pics.

Suzy said...

I absolutely agree Topsy Turvy...it was such a great touch.

Red River Interiors,LLC said...

i just discovered your blog and love it...i also posted on Mary McDonald on this same spread on my blog...i definitely agree with you that some of the shelters lack visual interest at best...i usually pick and choose from each edition....check out my site and leave a comment...i'd love to hear your opinion....thanks...fay

Unknown said...

yeah, i was really digging the navy dining room when i saw it (and the gray bedroom)- dark walls are really speaking to me right now.

my sole criticism would to lighten up with the urns- 8 in the photos you showed, and one on the patio too.

Suzy said...

M21 - me too, I could paint my whole apartment charcoal grey right now...if it wasn't for my pesky landlord!

I'm with you on the urns...while I like them, she may have gone a bit overboard.