Tuesday 21 October 2008

Charles & Ray Eames

Charles & Ray Eames are two names which have permeated the consciousness of many people around the world. They are known to those that are not even aware of the importance of their contribution to the world of design. I myself was not aware of just how varied their pursuits were until recently. Among the many interests of Charles, in particular, was photography. And what a great photographer he was. Not surprising talent to have, I guess, for someone who has an incredible eye. If you are living in or visiting Hong Kong, make your way over to the Lane Crawford home store at Pacific Place and check out the Charles & Ray Eames retrospective, which includes - amongst many of their iconic pieces for sale - an exhibition of photos taken by Charles himself, some of which include photos he took while in Hong Kong.


Eames plywood chairs by Herman Miller, available in Hong Kong from Lane Crawford.

5 comments:

columnist said...

Lane Crawford's furniture store in Pacific Place is really great, and has changed for the so-much better over the last few years. I didn't know Eames had visited Hong Kong, but I suppose there was every good reason for him to have done so.

Suzy said...

Yes, I'm not sure if you've seen it since it got the Yabu-Pushelberg treatment, but the new store is fantastic. It could do with having some smaller up and coming labels, but still...it is great to have the range that they do.

Material Girls said...

I have loved the Eames' work ever since I was introduced to them in design school- they produced such classic furniture that definitely stands the test of time!

columnist said...

I think so, (that I've seen the Yabu-Pushelberg treatment). I was there in June. It's very cool. I can't think of a less boring word right now. But I think it's totally appropriate.

Suzy said...

I totally agree columnist!

And Emily, you are right on the money there...the mark of a great designer indeed!