Tuesday 1 December 2009

The Upper House

Last week I had the pleasure of checking out the fairly recently opened The Upper House establishment in Hong Kong- the second installment by Swire hotels (they opened The Opposite House in Beijing late last year). Designed by local rising star Andre Fu of AFSO (who will be speaking at BoDW later this week), the spaces are done in a modern Asian style that is simple, elegant and luxurious. I haven't seen the guest rooms yet, but the public spaces are lovely. When I checked out Cafe Gray for both mid-afternoon coffee and a late night cocktail it was jam packed. News travels fast in this city. I have to say though I especially loved the Living Room....complete with an open fireplace (a bit of a rarity in this city) that might just have to be added to my favorites list, see previous post on fireplaces here. What you can't see in this photo is during the day when the drapes are drawn there is an enviable view of green mountain side. What a great place to curl up with a book - any time of the day!



Photo taken by a fabulous photographer, and friend, Haf Saba (click to enlarge).

8 comments:

Blue said...

Oh, yes! A wonderful room. Wonderful!

cotedetexas said...

Beautiful!!!

columnist said...

I had forgotten about the Living Room, which we encountered as soon as we entered the restaurant/bar floor. It is rather pleasing, and has shades of Anouska Hempel's The Hempel, in London.

Unknown said...

what a serene and relaxing 'living room'!

James Lee said...

man build up the world and woman make the world beatiful...so that's the reason almost architects are male and FF&E designers are girls in our office...The upper house design has the decent japanese sense with elegant shape and subtle hue...I know anfo used to do decorative design, but this one give me a surprise...

James Lee said...

Anfo this time give us a surprise to show him can handle simplicity of the design..

Suzy said...

I think Andre Fu of AFSO is quite talented and could probably handle almost any style...in fact his talk at the BODW was about him not wanted to be stereotyped for one particular style.

As for men building and women decorating...I'm not sure I can agree with you on that one James!

jennifer said...

I agree Andre Fu is amongst the hottest designer - especially with his youthful age. I love the Upper House!